An introduction to _The Nature of Order_
My work-in-progress attempt of providing a thorough introduction to Alexander’s theory.
The rational / The world / The general
Living structure: a theory of centers
A theory of living structure describing the geometry of beauty and wholeness and their fifteen fundamental properties.
- Beauty/wholeness is purely encoded in the geometry of things
- Hierarchy of centers: differentiated regions of space and matter
- Nature as a role model for consistently creating wholeness
- 15 fundamental properties
- A sense of unity: wholeness in color and 11 color properties
Living process: the adaptive process
A process to create living structure.
- From assembling components to differentiating the whole
- Structure-preserving transformations
- 15 properties as structure-preserving transformations
- Patterns and pattern languages
- “Do the next right thing” — sequences to conquer complexity
- Simplicity and nothingness: towards reaching unity
The collapse of meaning: critique on our mechanistic world view
How the lack of shared values in our mechanistic and materialistic world prevents the creation of beauty and wholeness.
- Descartes “trick” that turned into our model of the world
- No place for art in science: our meaningless experience
- How Taylorism replaced our desire for harmony with growth
- The wrong values: growth, ego and individualism
- Rediscovering harmony: what we really
- Belonging: a real sense of freedom
The spiritual / Our experience / The personal
Mirror of the self: a deep connection to living structure
know feel it when we see it.
- Hardwired for detecting wholeness
- Observing our capacity to detect wholeness: empirical foundations
- The mirror-of-the-self test
- Personal: idiosyncratic or universal?
- Feeling as a tool for creating wholeness
- What Alexander means by “feeling”
A new world view bringing back meaning
A post-rationalist world view that incorporates human experience and enables us to share values that will help to rebuild our world.
- We can’t deny our experience
A new kind of physics: explaining wholeness
Alexander’s attempt to explain the universe by connecting the rational to the spiritual.
- Merging science and art
- Physics vs. psychology
- Alexander’s search for God
- The Nature of Order as a work of wholeness